It’s always nice to show your appreciation for the special moms and/or mother figures in your life on the one day of the year dedicated solely to them: Mother’s Day! Whether you planned a fancy dinner or bought her favorite treat, you should be doing everything you can to make the day special.
That being said, what appears to be the simplest part of a gift can also be the most difficult: the card! It can be difficult to express how much you care about your mother, mother-in-law, or mother figure in writing. Nonetheless, it is critical that you attempt to write something on that card.
Why? “Mother’s Day cards are a way to tell someone you love them, to share how they make your life happy, and how they make you feel loved by them,” says Jenni Skyler, Ph.D., a certified sex therapist, sexologist, and the director of The Intimacy Institute.
According to Janet Brito, Ph.D., a clinical psychologist and sex therapist in Honolulu, writing a nice note in a Mother’s Day card is a way to initiate a “positive interaction and a memorable experience for both parties.”
In general, “expressing your feelings and communicating honestly” is “good practise,” Brito adds. “Expressing vulnerability allows for a more intimate connection.” And aren’t those intimate, close connections what life is all about?
So, if you’re up for writing a sweet message on your card but need a little help coming up with the right words, keep reading. You’ll find 45 heartfelt phrases, quotes, and ideas to write in your Mother’s Day card below. (Don’t be surprised if your recipient tears up!)
Mother’s Day Greetings
- I wish you a wonderful Mother’s Day. You deserve nothing but the best!
- This Mother’s Day, I wish you a relaxing and calming Mother’s Day.
- I hope you have the best Mother’s Day ever!
- I wish I could be there for you on Mother’s Day. I’m sending you a big hug!
- I wish you a Mother’s Day as lovely as you are.
Appreciation Messages for Mother’s Day
- You are an inspiration to me, and I admire everything you do.
- Thank you for being there for me during this difficult time. Thank you very much.
- Thank you for being the best mother anyone could have.
- I’m grateful for everything you’ve done for me. Thank you very much!
- I hope you understand how important you are to me.
Mother’s Day Greetings For A Mother-In-Law From a daughter-in-law, a son-in-law, or a child-in-law
- I’m overjoyed to have you in my life. Mother’s Day greetings!
- You are the best mother-in-law anyone could have.
- Thank you for raising such a lovely, wonderful child. You did an outstanding job.
- I consider myself extremely fortunate to have married into your family.
- You are the best mother I have ever known. Thank you very much!
Messages for Mother’s Day Grandmother’s sake
- Grandma, I consider myself extremely fortunate to have you in my life.
- Thank you for enlightening me on the world. I adore you and your knowledge.
- You are the beating heart of this household. Thank you very much, Grandma!
- Grandma, thank you for always making me feel loved and safe.
- You gave me the best [insert parent] on the planet, Grandma. Thank you very much.
Funny Messages for Mother’s Day
- You’re one of my favorite parents, Mom.
- You brought up the best child ever. (This is me!)
- Thank you for giving birth to a genius!
- I adore you more than [name of sibling]!
- Thank you for putting up with me during my adolescence. You are deserving of a medal.
Inspirational Mother’s Day Sayings
- “To describe my mother would be like writing about a hurricane at its peak. Or the ascending and descending colors of a rainbow.” Maya Angelou
- “I believe that becoming a mother entails becoming one of the greatest spiritual teachers there is.” —From Oprah Winfrey
- “When you look into your mother’s eyes, you know it’s the purest love on the planet.” —Michael Albom
- “No one’s arms are more comforting than a mother’s.” —Diana, Princess of Wales
- “Peace comes from a mother’s love. It does not have to be earned or acquired.” —Fromm, Eric
Mother’s Day Messages for New Moms
- Congratulations on your first of many Mother’s Days!
- You’re going to be a fantastic mother.
- Your child is extremely fortunate to have you as their mother.
- I knew you’d be the best mother, and your baby is so lucky to have you.
- Mother’s Day greetings! Please let me know if you ever require a babysitter. I’m here to help!
Messages for Mother Figures on Mother’s Day
- You’ve always been a mother figure to me. Thank you so much for everything you do!
- Thank you for always being available to me. I adore you!
- You are an inspiration to me, and I am grateful to have you in my life.
- Thank you for being there for me when I needed someone to cry on. To me, you are everything!
- I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for you. Thank you so much for everything.
A Spouse’s Mother’s Day Sayings
- Thank you for being such a wonderful mother to our children.
- Every day, I’m grateful that I’ve been able to start a family with you.
- Being your partner and witnessing your motherhood has been the greatest joy of my life.
- I couldn’t have done it without the support of my family. I adore you!
- Thank you for sticking by my side through it all. I appreciate everything you do for our family.
Finally, whatever phrase you choose will express your feelings about Mother’s Day, and your special card recipient will undoubtedly appreciate the kind words.